Marriage License

Marriage licenses are obtained from the Clerk of District Court's Office located in the Law & Justice Center at 615 S. 16th Ave. in Bozeman. The license can be used immediately or within 180 days from the date of issuance. It is valid in any county within Montana, but not in any other state or country.  
After the marriage ceremony, the person who performed the ceremony must return the license to the Clerk's office within 30 days for completion. Once it is returned to the couple, the license can be used as proof of name change with Social Security and in changing the name on a driver's license.  
PLEASE NOTE: During Phase 1 of Montana’s reopening, the requirements for quarantine for out-of-state travelers remains. If you or someone you know has recently arrived in Montana, a 14-day self-quarantine is required to protect our communities. For more information, please visit
What to Bring to Obtain a Marriage License (see below for additional requirements if under 18)
  • Montana law requires that at least one party must appear before the Clerk of District Court. If both parties are not able to be present, the party who is unable to appear must complete their portion of the marriage license application and sign it before the Clerk of District Court where they are located. The party who appears in our office must provide proof of age for themselves and the non-present party. This could be a valid driver’s license, government-issued identification card, birth certificate, or valid passport. 
  • If either party was previously married, the full name of the ex-spouse as well as the exact date of the divorce or death must be written on the application. The dissolution decree or death certificate are not required as proof.  
Cost: The fee for a marriage license is $53 in cash. Checks, debit cards and credit cards are not accepted.
A Montana marriage can be solemnized by:
  • Clergy (out-of-state clergy need not be registered in Montana)
  • Judge (or retired judge) of a court of record
  • Public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages
  • Mayor, city judge, Justice of the Peace
  • Tribal udge
  • A Notary Public
Download Montana's marriage application.
(The form can be filled out on-line and printed or it can be printed and filled out by hand.)
Marriage Licenses for Those Aged 16-18
A person must be at least 16 to marry in Montana. Follow above requirements with the following additions:
  • Obtain parental permission (they will sign the application form from Clerk's office, not the online form)
  • Show proof of couple attending two counseling sessions prior to filling out application
  • Obtain judicial approval
  • Contact Clerk's office to get proper paperwork and more specific instructions.  
Obtaining a Copy of Your Marriage License         
Copies are available at the Clerk of District Court's office.
Regular copy - $5
Certified copy for official use -  $7
How to Obtain In Person or In Writing:
  • Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope if request is in writing
  • Provide your full names and maiden name(s).
  • Provide date of marriage
  • Request regular or certified copy
  • Provide appropriate fee - can be cash, check or money order made payable to Clerk of Court.