Crime Reporting

The Sheriff’s Office can help you in many ways. We respond to and take reports on all criminal acts, civil disputes, and general calls for service such as lost items, extra patrol requests, loose livestock, and other matters.
Call 9-1-1 in case of emergency
If you have a crime to report, you will need to call 406-582-2100, ext. 2, to initiate a response. An officer will then contact you to determine what action to take. Most of the time, you will need to complete a written statement. You can help us by downloading and completing the written statement form for your report.  
Please include all pertinent information in your statement including the value of any item(s) stolen or damaged, as well as serial numbers if available.  We will need some documentation of the value of any item worth over $1,000.
If your problem is other than criminal, you may contact us for assistance or referral to legal assistance such as an attorney of your choosing, mediation or other services.
If you have information to give and wish to remain anonymous or possibly receive a reward, please call Bozeman Crime Stoppers at 586-1131.
Please keep in mind that in cases of identity theft, the United States Secret Service investigates account takeovers and fraudulent use of Social Security numbers.
  • Social Security "Hot Line": 1-800-269-0271
Also, the United States Postal Inspectors investigate mail fraud and fraudulent applications for credit by mail.
See the Montana Department of Justice page for how to deal with identity theft.
If you report theft of mail to the USPS, please make a report to us as well so that we can increase patrol in your area and look for this very specific type of activity.
We encourage you to call as your information is important to us!