You can get involved with SAR through membership in one of our volunteer groups. If you live in the Gallatin Valley, we encourage most people to start by joining the Sheriff’s Posse (see details for other groups, including Big Sky and West Yellowstone, below). Membership in more than one group is allowed and encouraged.
The Posse takes on new members every fall. Becoming a full member is, at minimum, a one-year process. During that time, you'll be expected to attend all Posse meetings and trainings, which occur roughly twice a month. Operational members are expected to respond to at least 50% of all callouts. It's important to recognize that search and rescue is a major time commitment for everyone involved: members typically devote 15-20+ hours each month.
If you think you'd be a good addition to the Posse, please fill out the following questionnaire to be added to our applicant mailing list. Once you are on the list, we will keep you updated with upcoming recruitment events.
- Valley – See specialties below
- West Yellowstone – Contact Brock Kelly (406) 640-1361
- Big Sky – Contact Mark Bradford (406) 539-6981
- Alpine/Hasty: Resuce in technical terrain including rock, ice, avalanches, and water. Contact Jason Riviski (406) 580-9473
- Divers: underwater search and recovery. Contact Kavin Kelly (406) 579-8375
- Hams: communications and computer technology. Contact Curtis DeVault (406) 853-1500
- Dogs: search and rescue K-9s. Contact Ladean McKittrick (406) 388-7070
- Posse: most general group that provides general training for Search and Rescue. The Posse includes swiftwater rescue services. Contact Amy Lanzendorf (406) 600-9829