NEW DEALERSHIP PURCHASES: If you purchased a vehicle from a dealership on or after March 16, 2020, you have a 90-day extension to title and register your vehicle.
RENEWALS: Renewals have an additional 30 day grace period past their expiration; however, the link on the State's reminder card will not work for those renewals. Please use the Expired Registration Form found in the top left-hand corner of this screen.
- UNEXPIRED REGISTRATION RENEWALS: If your registration is CURRENT, and you do not need an address change, you can renew online using this link.
- EXPIRED RENEWALS BY MAIL: If your registration is EXPIRED and you have a reminder from the State of Montana, you can still submit the amount due listed on that notice via check and either drop it off at one of our offices or mail it. You will not incur a late fee but you will only be renewed for the period of time you would have if you had paid on time.
- EXPIRED RENEWALS ELECTRONICALLY: If your registration is expired and you prefer to process it electronically, don't know the amount owed, need a change of address, or are interested in permanent registration information, please use the EXPIRED RENEWAL FORM (see upper left-hand corners of this page.)
- If you have only a Montana registration renewal then you will go to the door that says Room 102. This is our Express Renewal Line.
- You can also come to this line if you want to swap your plates (as long as you do not want a personalization), if you are switching counties within Montana, if you just want to update your address on your registration, or if you need a reprint of your registration or your previous year's financial statement.
- If you have any form of Title work, then you will go to the door that says Room 104 and pull a number from the red ticket stand.
- If you have an appointment for your title work, you do not need to pull a number or wait in the lobby. For appointments you will go to the door that says Room 102 and let the renewal line know that you are there for your appointment; when they are ready, either Desk 1 or Desk 2 will call you in to process your transaction.
- There are no specific lines here; every transaction is first come, first serve, when you pull a number. We also do not have appointments available at this location.
- You can attach it directly to your Montana title and keep them in a safe place for future use.
- You can come into our office so we can release it from the system, and then attach the lien release to your current Montana title.
- You can come in to our office so we can release it from our system, and then for $10.30, we can order you a clean title that does not have the lien printed on it at all.
- A Government Issued Photo ID
- Out of State Driver’s License or ID
- A Rental Agreement signed by you and your Landlord (within the last year)
- The deed to your home, the property tax statement, or closing documents to your home
- OR Two forms of proof that are in your name and reflect your physical address
- Acceptable forms are:
- Bank Statements
- Insurance Card
- Utility Bill
- Certified Court Documents
- Montana Hunting/Fishing License
- Pay Stub
- Phone Bill
- School Transcript/Report Card
- Voter Registration
- For people without a physical address a written statement on letterhead from a Montana Social Services Agency verifying residency status and descriptive address
Gallatin County Treasurer/Motor Vehicle Supervisor