WE DO NOT PROCESS MONTANA DRIVERS LICENSE OR REAL ID AT THIS LOCATION.
To make an appointment at a Drivers Services location for a driver's licence, REAL ID, knowledge testing, road testing, driver's license transfer, most VIN inspections, and other related services ,you can do so online using this link: https://dojmt.gov/driving/ or by calling 866-450-8034 toll free. The Gallatin County Driver's License Office is located at 2005 Gilkerson Dr. #B, Bozeman, MT (off of Griffin and Gilkerson).
The registration reminder cards are a courtesy card not a bill. Even if you do not receive your card, your registration is still due the month that it expires. These cards come from the Motor Division in Helena, MT, not from our office. If you have sold the vehicle, but still receive the notice, please disregard.
If you are renewing your registration online, but you have moved within the last year and have not updated it with our office, your registration will not go to your new address. There is not a way to update your address on the website, you will have to email us your new address first or come in person to complete it.
Qualifying vehicles are 11 years or older. So, this year, 2020, all 2009 vehicles are eligible. If you are late to renew your registration from the previous year, then you will not qualify until the following year.
You can email our office or call to get a quote on what permanent registration would be for your vehicle, but as a general rule of thumb, it is usually approximately three times the amount of your annual registration.
Our location in Bozeman is 311 W Main St, Bozeman, MT 59715. We are in room 102 and room 104, which are two different doors to the same room.
- If you have only a Montana registration renewal then you will go to the door that says Room 102. This is our Express Renewal Line.
- You can also come to this line if you want to swap your plates (as long as you do not want a personalization), if you are switching counties within Montana, if you just want to update your address on your registration, or if you need a reprint of your registration or your previous Financial Statement.
- If you have any form of Title work, then you will go to the door that says Room 104 and pull a number from the red number stand.
- If you have an Appointment for your Title work, you do not need to pull a number or wait in that line. For Appointments you will go to the door that says Room 102 and let the renewal line know that you are there for your appointment, and when they are ready, either Desk 1 or Desk 2 will call you in for your transaction.
Our location in Belgrade is 312 W Main St, Ste B8, Belgrade, MT 59714.
- There are no specific lines here, every transaction is first come, first serve, when you pull a number. We also do not have appointments available at this location.
To be able to register your vehicle in Montana, you will need to request that title from your bank and have them send it to our office.
The form to use is an MV63, which is a Foreign Title Transfer Request, it can be found here.
To get a Handicap Placard, you and your doctor must fill out an MV5, a Disability Permit/License Plate Application. To receive a placard you will send this form to the address in Helena listed at the top of the form, PO Box 201431, Helena, MT 59620. The form can be found here.
To get a Handicap Plate, you can either bring in the completed MV5, which we will keep and put on file, or if you already have a blue handicap placard, then you can bring that in as well and we will take a copy of it for our files.
You can use the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title, the MV7, and either send it directly to the state with $10.30 or you can complete the transaction in our office by going to the door labelled Room 104 in Bozeman, or through our Belgrade office as well. The form can be located here.
You have three options after you receive the lien release.
- You can attach it directly to your Montana Title
- You can come in to our office so we can release it from the system, but you will still need to attach the lien release to your current Montana Title
- You can come in to our office so we can release it from our system, and then for $10.30, we can order you a clean title that does not have the lien printed on it at all.
If you have purchased the car you will need to bring in proof of a valid sale. If it was a Montana vehicle, that means either a Notarized Montana Title or a Notarized Bill of Sale. If either of these things has a Notary date that is older than 40 days, then we cannot issue a Temporary Permit.
If you have an Out of State vehicle you can get a Temporary Permit if your Out of State registration has not been expired for more than 90 days.
If you want to purchase veteran plates for your vehicle please bring in your DD214 for us to keep on file.
If you want to purchase Disabled Veteran Plates for your vehicle, you will need to bring in your letter from the Veteran Affairs office, and you must have either 100% disability or 50% and over with a Purple Heart Designation to be able to qualify to receive these plates and/or exemption.
If you do not have a Montana Driver’s License or ID, you must present:
- A Government Issued Photo ID
- Out of State Driver’s License or ID
- A Rental Agreement signed by you and your Landlord
- A Deed to you home, Property Tax Statement, or Closing Documents to your home
- OR Two forms of proof that say your name and physical address
- Acceptable forms are
- Bank Statements
- Insurance Card
- Utility Bill
- Certified Court Documents
- Montana Hunting/Fishing License
- Pay Stub
- Phone Bill
- School Transcript/Report Card
- Voter Registration
- For people without a physical address a written statement on letterhead from a Montana Social Services Agency verifying residency status and descriptive address
- Acceptable forms are
Located here. We honor the rules of the state that your title comes from. Ex: California does not require notarization, so you do not need to have a notarized California title to register it here.
Gallatin County Treasurer/Motor Vehicle Supervisor