Wedding Information

Does the Gallatin County Justice Court perform wedding ceremonies?

Yes, the Justice Court judges routinely perform wedding ceremonies, during office hours.

Do I need to have a marriage license to get married in the state of Montana?

Yes, you must obtain your license from the Clerk of the District Court. The cost is $53.

Who can perform marriage ceremonies in the state of Montana?

Any judge, including judges of state and federal courts, Justice of the Peace, minister, or other person of any religious society or sect authorized by the rules of such society to perform the marriage ceremony

Is there a fee for having a wedding ceremony performed by a magistrate at the Law & Justice Center?

Yes, there is a $30 fee (cash or check only) for marriages performed at the court.

Do I need an appointment to be married by a judge at the  court facility?

Yes, you should contact the court at 406-582-2191 Option #1 or talk with our staff at the court facility after you have picked up your marriage license.

How far in advance do I need to schedule an appointment to be married?

We need at least two days notice to schedule a wedding. Availability is based upon the Judges' court schedule. Once your wedding is scheduled, you must arrive no less than 5 minutes prior to your scheduled time with your license in hand.