The costs of drinking and driving are high. The out-of-pocket expense for a first offense conviction will stay with an DUI offender for several years after a conviction. The DMV will list all DUI convictions on your driving record for 10 years after the date of your arrest.
Your costs could include:
- Your fine, penalty assessment, court fees, & jail booking fee.
- Increased insurance costs: a new 'High Risk driver' policy, per year.
- A license "reinstatement fee.
- Required alcohol education classes
- Car towing; PD release; and storage
- Lawyer's fees for pre-trial consultations, trial and experts
- Transportation costs
. . . for a total as high as $10,000 . . .