The purpose of the Misdemeanor Probation Program is to promote the safety and well being of the citizens of Gallatin County through sentencing enforcement for certain misdemeanor cases.
Misdemeanor Probation focuses on:
- Community safety
- Advocating for victims’ rights and restitution
- Offenders' accountability for completion of every facet of their court ordered sentences
In addition to proactive supervision, it is also the mission of this program to help reduce incarceration rates and mitigate the risks for re-offense and continual criminal behavior by directing and assisting probationers in personal and community adjustment.
While on misdemeanor probation, an offender may be required to submit to drug and alcohol tests, maintain employment, attend counseling and/or classes, perform community service, and pay fines, fees and restitution.
The Gallatin County Misdemeanor Probation program handles misdemeanor cases including, but not limited to:
- Driving under the influence
- Negligent endangerment
- Partner/family member assault
- Misdemeanor possession of controlled substance and paraphernalia
- Sexual assault, violation of protection orders, stalking
- Driving without privileges
- Various felonies amended to misdemeanors
- Interstate transers of misdemeanor probationers, as well as courtesy supervisions from other Montana counties, are also supervised by this office.
The Misdemeanor Probation Officer attends the Law Enforcement Academy in Helena allowing him/her the right to enforce court orders with the same authority as a law enforcement officer.
For felony probation, contact Montana Probation and Parole at 406-587-5455.