Skip Navigation
State of Montana Website
Welcome to Gallatin County
Gallatin County Home
Big Sky
Four Corners
Gallatin Gateway
Three Forks
This table is used for column layout.

Job Openings

Titling - Required Documents
Required Documents When Vehicle is Purchased from a Dealer
  • Montana Driver's License.
  • The dealer will either provide you all the documents necessary for titling (out of state dealer) or send all the documents to us necessary for titling.  Please allow at least 30 days for the dealer to send the Motor Vehicle Office the documents.
  • If you have a loan, separate from the dealership, please bring in a signed copy of the loan document.

Required Documents when Vehicle is Purchased from a Private Party
  • Montana Driver's License.
  • A properly completed title by the private party (seller).
  • A lien release if there is a lien showing.
  • A signed copy of the loan document if there is a loan.

Required Documents when Moving to Montana
  • Montana Driver's License or proof of residency.  Proof of residency:
  • Property tax statement in the name of the registered owner of vehicle, or,
  • Current lease or rental agreement from a Montana property owner.
  • Montana State Law requires people moving to Montana obtain a driver's license within 30 days and registering their vehicle(s) within 60 days.
  • Bring in the out of state title.  If there is more than one (1) name on the out of state title, only one (1) needs to sign documents to title the vehicle.
  • If the title is held by a lien holder, you will need to bring in a registration to obtain a 40 day permit to drive and a form to send to your lien holder.  The form can be obtained from the County Motor Vehicle Office or online (Form MV63).

      Web Services Provided By:
Gallatin County, Montana
311 West Main Street
Bozeman, MT 59715