Gallatin County, Montana
Registration - Required Documents
Required Documents for Montana Registration Renewals

If you have a current Montana registration, you will need one (1) of the following forms of information:
  • Copy of old registration; or,
  • Renewal notice; or,
  • Vehicle title number; or,
  • License plate number; or,
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN #).

Required Documents for Resident of another state – working in Montana

Out of state residents working in Montana must register their vehicles in Montana. You must have a current out of state registration.  Please bring in current out of state registration.  

Required Documents when Moving to Montana

You will need to transfer your out of state title to Montana in the county in which you reside.  (See Titling - Required Documents).  Montana State Law requires people moving to Montana to obtain a driver's license within 30 days of arrival and to title and register your vehicles within 60 days of arrival.  Log on to or call toll free (866) 450-8034 to schedule an appointment for all knowledge testing, road testing, driver's license transfer, most VIN inspections, and other services.  The Driver's License Office in Gallatin County is located at 2005 Gilkerson #B, Bozeman, MT (off of Griffin and Gilkerson).