Skip Navigation
State of Montana Website
Welcome to Gallatin County
Gallatin County Home
Big Sky
Four Corners
Gallatin Gateway
Three Forks
This table is used for column layout.

Job Openings

Gallatin County Treasurer's Office
Please note:  We are still in the process of correcting addresses for returned 2018 tax bills. If you should’ve received a tax bill but haven’t, please call 406-582-3030 for assistance.  If you are expecting an adjustment to your tax bill and are waiting for a revised bill, please contact Jennifer at 406-582-3035.
Contact TypeContact Information
County Treasurer
311 West Main Street
Room 103
Bozeman, MT 59715
Tax Phone:
(406) 582-3030
Motor Vehicle Phone:
(406) 582-3080
8:00am-5:00pm Monday - Friday
Closed on all Legal Holidays!
Link to Page
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page
Gallatin County Treasurer's Office Mission
To find innovative ways to provide top quality service to our customers at the lowest possible cost, while maintaining the highest standards of honesty and stewardship of the public trust.  

2018 Real Property Tax Bills

2018 Real Property Tax bills will be mailed the last week of October 2018 with 2018 1st 1/2 due Friday, November 30, 2018 and 2018 2nd 1/2 due Friday, May 31, 2019.

The tax bill is sent to the owner of record as of August 31, 2018.  Even if you have a mortgage or escrow company who pays your property taxes, the taxpayer will still receive the tax bill.

If you PURCHASED real estate around the middle to end of August or after, the 2018 tax bill will be sent to the prior owner.  Call (406) 582-3030 and we will make note of the ownership change and send you a copy of the 2018 tax bill.  

If you SOLD real estate around the middle to end of August or after, the 2018 tax bill will be sent to you.  If you know the new owners and want to forward the 2018 tax bill to them, please do so.  Otherwise, please call (406) 582-3030 and we will make note of the ownership change and send a copy of the 2018 tax bill to them.

Please read the back of the 2018 real property tax bill as there is a lot of information which may answer your questions.  If you still have questions, please call Gallatin County Treasurer's Office at
(406) 582-3030

2017 Real Property Delinquent Taxes
On the 1st day of August, 2018, if 2017 real property taxes were still delinquent, a tax lien in the manner provided by law, in the name of Gallatin County, was placed on all delinquent 2017 real property.

Taxpayers have until 5:00 pm August 29, 2018 to redeem said delinquent taxes which will remove Gallatin County's tax lien.

On August 30, 2018, all active 2017 tax liens will be available to be purchased from Gallatin County by a third party.  What this means for the taxpayer is addiitional fees will be attached by the third party (i.e. assignment fee, postage, advertising, etc.) for which the taxpayer will need to pay inorder to remove the third party assignment.  If no action is taken by the taxpayer prior to September 1, 2021, the third party can start the tax deed process.

Further questions, please contact Mary Jane DiSanti, Delinquent Tax Collector, (406) 582-3031.

To obtain on-line tax information, please click online.

Locate Property Tax Information online
- Tax Payment information updated nightly from Treasurer's tax records.  
-  Property records updated as follows:
Real Property owners, legal description, etc. - Montana Department of Revenue provides monthly downloads updating property owners names and addresses.
Mobile home owners - Montana Department of Revenue provides monthly downloads updating mobile home owners names and addresses.
Personal Property owners and information - Montana Department of Revenue provides monthly downloads updating personal property owners names and addresses.
- Search by name, parcel number/tax id number, address, geo code or section, township and range
Gallatin County Treasurer's Office Information:
-  Gallatin County Treasurer's Office sends out delinquent notices as follows:
-  Real Property, delinquent notices are sent twice a year - January and late July.  It is not beneficial to the taxpayers or Treasurer's Office to send out delinquent notices when there are companies that want to purchase delinquent taxes from the County that send out thousands of notices to taxpayers in early July.  This is why the Treasurer's Office waits until late July to send out our delinquent notices.
-  Mobile Homes, delinquent notices are sent twice a year - January and July;
-  Personal Property, delinquent notices are sent once a year - August.
-  Gallatin County Treasurer's Office has started a list of taxpayers email addresses so we can send a reminder to the taxpayer when their taxes are due.  By law, the Treasurer's Office sends one (1) tax bill for Real Estate the end of October each year with two (2) stubs due November 30th and the following May 31st, for Mobile Home the end of April each year with two (2) stubs due May 31st and November 30th, and for Personal Property the end of May each year with one (1) stub due June 30th.  On the back of your stubs is a line to write your email address so we can add to our list.  You may call or email the Treasurer's Office with your email address also.  The Treasurer's Office doesn't sell the email list as it is for our information only.
-  By law, the Treasurer's Office can't post partial real estate tax payments.  If your  payment is received after the due date and penalty & interest is not included, we will return your payment back to you with a notice providing the total amount due and additional time to return the tax payment with penalty and interest to our office.  

Gallatin County Treasurer's Office accepts the following payment types:
-  Cash
-  Check:  When paying by check, please write payable to "Gallatin County Treasurer."  Also, please write the tax parcel number on the memo line.
-  Credit and Debit Cards:  Credit Cards accepted are Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.  With Credit and Debit Cards, there is a fee charged to the taxpayer of 2.65% or a minimum of $3.00.

Pay Your Property Taxes Online by using Official Payments Corporation
-  For a fee, Official Payments will charge your credit card and submit your tax payment to our office.
-  You will need your tax parcel number, amount due, and Gallatin County's Jurisdiction Code #3601.

Tax Protest Information
-  For the procedure and form needed to pay taxes under protest, click on the blue box above titled "Taxes Paid Under Protest Form."

State of Montana - Department of Revenue Tax Appeal Information
-  To obtain State of Montana - Department of Revenue Tax Appeal information, click here.
-  Gallatin County has a local State of Montana - Department of Revenue office.  To contact the Gallatin County local office, PLEASE call: (406) 582-3400 or click here for their e-mail.       

County Tax Appeal Board Information (CTAB)
-  To obtain County Tax Appeal information and appeal forms, click here.

      Web Services Provided By:
Gallatin County, Montana
311 West Main Street
Bozeman, MT 59715