Gallatin County Treasurer's Office Mission
To find innovative ways to provide top quality service to our customers at the lowest possible cost, while maintaining the highest standards of honesty and stewardship of the public trust.
2017 Real Property Tax Bills
2017 Real Property tax information will be available
Monday, October 23, 2017
Tax bills will be mailed starting
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
To obtain on-line tax information, please click on "Property Taxes"
above or the link below.
Locate Property Tax Information online
- Tax Payment information updated nightly from Treasurer's tax records.
- Property records updated as follows:
Real Property owners, legal description, etc. - Montana Department of Revenue provides monthly downloads updating property owners names and addresses.
Mobile home owners - Montana Department of Revenue provides monthly downloads updating mobile home owners names and addresses.
Personal Property owners and information - Montana Department of Revenue provides monthly downloads updating personal property owners names and addresses.
- Search by name, parcel number/tax id number, address, geo code or section, township and range
Gallatin County Treasurer's Office Information:
- Gallatin County Treasurer's Office sends out delinquent notices as follows:
- Real Property, delinquent notices are sent twice a year - January and late July. It is not beneficial to the taxpayers or Treasurer's Office to send out delinquent notices when there are companies that want to purchase delinquent taxes from the County that send out thousands of notices to taxpayers in early July. This is why the Treasurer's Office waits until late July to send out our delinquent notices.
- Mobile Homes, delinquent notices are sent twice a year - January and July;
- Personal Property, delinquent notices are sent once a year - August.
- Gallatin County Treasurer's Office has started a list of taxpayers email addresses so we can send a reminder to the taxpayer when their taxes are due. By law, the Treasurer's Office sends one (1) tax bill for Real Estate the end of October each year with two (2) stubs due November 30th and the following May 31st, for Mobile Home the end of April each year with two (2) stubs due May 31st and November 30th, and for Personal Property the end of May each year with one (1) stub due June 30th. On the back of your stubs is a line to write your email address so we can
add to our list. You may call or email the Treasurer's Office with your email address also. The Treasurer's Office doesn't sell the email list as it is for our information only.
- By law, the Treasurer's Office can't post partial real estate tax payments. If your payment is received after the due date and penalty & interest is not included, we will return your payment back to you with a notice providing the total amount due and additional time to return the tax payment with penalty and interest to our office.
Gallatin County Treasurer's Office accepts the following payment types:
- Check: When paying by check, please write payable to "Gallatin County Treasurer." Also, please write the tax parcel number on the memo line.
- Credit and Debit Cards: Credit Cards accepted are Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express. With Credit and Debit Cards, there is a fee charged to the taxpayer of 2.65% or a minimum of $3.00.
- For a fee, Official Payments will charge your credit card and submit your tax payment to our office.
- You will need your tax parcel number, amount due, and Gallatin County's Jurisdiction Code #3601.
Tax Protest Information
- For the procedure and form needed to pay taxes under protest, click on the blue box above titled "Taxes Paid Under Protest Form."
State of Montana - Department of Revenue Tax Appeal Information
- To obtain State of Montana - Department of Revenue Tax Appeal information, click here.
- Gallatin County has a local State of Montana - Department of Revenue office. To contact the Gallatin County local office, PLEASE call: (406) 582-3400 or click here for their e-mail.
County Tax Appeal Board Information (CTAB)
- To obtain County Tax Appeal information and appeal forms, click here.