Every year, the Sheriff's Office responds to hundreds of requests regarding information on carrying concealed weapons and the application process for private citizens like yourself.
If you plan to apply for a Concealed Weapon Permit, please take a moment to read the information below:
WHAT IS THE CURRENT LAW REGARDING THE CARRYING OF A CONCEALED FIREARM?
M.C.A. Section 45-8-315 covers the laws related to concealed weapons. Most citizens find that their specific needs for protection in the home, business or while traveling fall within the current law without needing a permit.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR A CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT?
Anyone who wishes to carry a concealed pistol, revolver or any other firearm capable of being concealed upon a person within the city limits of any incorporated town is eligible to apply.
WHO CAN ISSUE A CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT?
Pursuant to the authority granted in M.C.A. Section 45-8-321, the sheriff of a county may issue written permits for carrying concealed weapons. Permits must be obtained in the county of permanent residence.
IF A PERMIT IS GRANTED IN GALLATIN COUNTY, IS IT HONORED ELSEWHERE?
For out-of-state validity, you must contact the Attorney General of the states in which you plan to travel to see if they will honor Montana Permits.
BASIC CRITERIA FOR GRANTING A CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT:
1. Resident in Montana for six months
2. 18 years of age
3. Written documentation of firearms training - DD214. Hunter's Safety Course or Handgun Safety Course (list available at the Law & Justice Center Front Lobby Window) Online handgun courses are NOT accepted as a handgun safety course for concealed weapon permits.
4. No criminal record
5. Possess a Montana Drivers License or State ID
WHAT IS THE COST AND HOW LONG IS THE PERMIT VALID?
> Initial cost is $50.00, nonrefundable. Renewal cost is $25.00, nonrefundable.
> CASH OR CHECK ONLY <
> Valid for four years, however, it can be revoked at any time.
> You are responsible for costs of handgun safety course.
Applications (new and renewals) - Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
FINGERPRINTING IS NO LONGER REQUIRED for Concealed Weapons Permits.
~ At the Lobby Window in the Law & Justice Center located at 615 South 16th Avenue in Bozeman, you may pay your fee (cash or check only), receive your receipt of payment and pick up your application.
~ You must present proof of a handgun safety course, DD214 or Hunter’s Safety Course at the time you submit your application.
~ The application must be signed in front of Front Window Sheriff’s witness.
~ An extensive background check will be run on each individual. Each file must be checked and approved by the Sheriff and Undersheriff before formal processing is begun.
~ The above process including renewals will take six to eight weeks to complete.
1. Any peace officer in the State of Montana
2. Any officer of the U.S. Government authorized to carry a concealed weapon
3. A person in actual service as a National Guardsman
4. A person summoned to the aid of any of the persons named in subsection 1-3
5. A civil officer or his deputy engaged in the discharge of official business
6. A probation or parole officer authorized to carry a firearm
7. A person issued a permit
8. An agent of the Department of Justice or a criminal investigator in the County Attorney’s Office
9. A person who is outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining or railroad camp or who is lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, or other activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection
10. The carrying of arms on one’s own premises or at one’s home or place of business
If you have other questions, you may contact the Sheriff’s Administrative Office at 582-2144.
Brian M. Gootkin
Sheriff, Gallatin County