July 20, 2017
Gallatin County Superintendent of Schools
Annual Salary: $68,848-$70,448
The office of Gallatin County Superintendent of Schools an elected or appointed official, provided by and for the people living in Gallatin County. The office is a liaison between the state and local government units and the taxpayers, assisting school boards, educators, parents, students, and communities to understand federal, state, and local laws relevant to education.
The County Superintendent has general supervision of the public schools of the county providing the best possible educational setting for all schools in Gallatin County while executing duties prescribed by the Legislature Board of Public Education and State Superintendent of Public Instruction MCA 20-3-205. The office is administrative - performing duties outlined by state law, the Board of Public Education, and the Office of Public Instruction. Supervisory responsibilities include areas of administration, legal issues, financial oversight, transportation, tuition, school district organization, classification, boundary adjustments, and centralized clerical and record keeping. The County Superintendent also fulfills state responsibilities for the private and home school population.
As a Gallatin County Government Official and County School Officer, the position will:
- Work closely with the Montana Office or Public Instruction to fulfill school and district mandatory reporting and funding requests, which requires knowledge or willingness to be trained in OPI online reporting programs that include but are not limited to TEAMS, TIDE, AIM, CSIP, Transportation, Egrants, school discipline. ~In addition to federal reporting for CRDC and SRSA/REAP.
- Require promotion of educational growth, improvement, and provision of general supervision of four public rural districts.
- Advise, direct and offer guidance to teachers in instruction. This includes all school matters of the 16 school districts in Gallatin County.
- Administer oaths to trustees, visits schools upon request by trustees and helps nullify matters of controversy, including pupil discipline.
- Attend monthly board meetings, some of which are held in the evening.
- Work closely with home-school community and should have an understanding of the home-school regulations provided in law.~
- Act as the Chief County School Financial Officer, which includes calculation of budgets and levies of school funds.
- Acts as the Chair of the County Transportation Committee, which includes registration of transportation certificates.
- Hosts the countywide spelling bee in addition to the Historical Rural School Declamation Contest.~
Other duties include acting as Attendance Officer of a district under prescribed conditions other duties as defined in the school laws of Montana as well as the Administrative Rules of Montana. The position requires extensive public relations as well as provision of background checks for rural school employees and substitutes.
The appointment of the Gallatin County Superintendent of Schools is filling a vacant position that expires on December 31, 2018. The candidate will have the option to run for office upon expiration of current term. Montana State Statute defines the eligibility as being a qualified elector of Gallatin County, holding a valid class 1, class 2, or class 3 license issued by the Superintendent of Public Instruction and has at least 3 years of successful teaching experience.
Interested parties are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter to Gallatin County Commissioners at Commission@gallatin.mt.gov. Please describe what makes you an ideal candidate for Superintendent of Schools position. To be considered for the first round of interviews, please have your resume submitted by July 27th at 5:00 PM. Questions regarding the position can be directed at Commission@gallatin.mt.gov or 406-582-3000.