Skip Navigation
State of Montana Website
Welcome to Gallatin County
Gallatin County Home
Big Sky
Four Corners
Gallatin Gateway
Three Forks
This table is used for column layout.

Job Openings

File an Order of Protection
Clerk of District Court
Nearly all Orders of Protection filed in Gallatin County are facilitated through the HAVEN Legal Advocate.  Prior to coming to the Clerk of District Court’s Office located in the Law and Justice Center, please contact the Legal Advocate for HAVEN at 582-2038.  The Legal Advocate for HAVEN is able to assist people who are victims of domestic violence, sexual abuse, partner or family member abuse, or children/minors who have been abused and have a parent or guardian filing a request for an Order of Protection on their behalf.   

If you are ineligible for HAVEN services, you may still be eligible for an Order of Protection but you would need to conduct research on your own by going to or hiring a private attorney.  
You can obtain an attorney referral from the State Bar Lawyer Referral Service or by calling 406-449-6577.  
You can also go to and use the interactive site to complete your Petition.

There is no fee to file for an Order of Protection.  If granted, the Court will issue a Temporary Order of Protection that will need to be served upon the Respondent by a Sheriff’s Deputy.  A Court date will be scheduled within 20 days. The Petitioner and the Respondent both have the right to testify at the hearing. The Judge will then determine if the Order of Protection should continue and for what duration.

Both the Petitioner and the Respondent have the right to hire an attorney; however, it is not required.  

The Legal Advocate for HAVEN is NOT an attorney and cannot
give legal advice or represent the Petitioner.  
The Legal Advocate can only give the Petitioner options and support.

      Web Services Provided By:
Gallatin County, Montana
311 West Main Street
Bozeman, MT 59715