Skip Navigation
State of Montana Website
Welcome to Gallatin County
Gallatin County Home
Big Sky
Four Corners
Gallatin Gateway
Three Forks
This table is used for column layout.

Job Openings

Marriage License Information
Clerk of District Court
Marriage licenses are obtained from the Clerk of District Court's office located in the Law and Justice Center at 615 South 16th Avenue in Bozeman.  The license can be used immediately or within 180 days from the date of issuance.  It is valid in any county within Montana, but not in any other state or country.  
After the marriage ceremony, the person who performed the ceremony must return the license to the Clerk's office within 30 days for completion.  Once it is returned to the couple, the license can be used as proof of name change with Social Security and in changing the name on a driver's license.  

What to Bring to Obtain a Marriage License
(see below for additional requirements if under 18)
~ Montana law requires that at least one party must appear before the Clerk of District Court.  If both parties are not able to be present, the party who is unable to appear must complete their portion of the marriage license application and sign it before the Clerk of District Court where they are located.  The non-present party would also need to sign the Rubella Blood Test Waiver form if applicable (see below).  The party who appears in our office must provide proof of age for themselves and the non-present party.  This could be a valid driver’s license, government-issued identification card, birth certificate, or valid passport. 
~ As of October 1, 2007, a rubella blood test is no longer required for females between the ages of 18 and 50. The parties may sign an Informed Consent/Waiver of Requirement of Blood Test form. This form is available at the Clerk of District Court’s Office or online at the  MT Dept. of Public Health & Human Services website.  If you obtain the form from a source other than the Clerk of District Court, please bring the form with you when applying for your marriage license. If a female is over the age of 50, no waiver is required.
~ If either party was previously married, the full name of the ex-spouse as well as the exact date of the divorce or death must be written on the application. The dissolution decree or death certificate are not required as proof.  

Cost:  The fee for a marriage license is $53.00 in cash.  
  Checks, debit cards and credit cards are not accepted.

A Montana marriage can be solemnized by:
        -- Clergy (out-of-state clergy need not be registered in Montana)
        -- Judge (or retired judge) of a court of record
        -- Public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages
        -- Mayor, City Judge, Justice of the Peace
        -- Tribal Judge

Download Montana's Marriage Application.
(The form can be filled out on-line and printed or it can be printed and filled out by hand.)

Marriage Licenses for Those Aged 16-18
A person must be at least 16 to marry in Montana.  
Follow above requirements with the following additions:
~ Obtain parental permission (they will sign the application form from Clerk's office, not the online form)
~ Show proof of couple attending two counseling sessions prior to filling out application
~ Obtain Judicial approval
~ Contact Clerk's office to get proper paperwork and more specific instructions.  

Obtaining a Copy of Your Marriage License                       
Copies are available at the Clerk of District Court's office.
Cost:  regular copy  -  $5.00
certified copy for official use  -  $7.00
How to Obtain In Person or In Writing:
> Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope if request is in writing
> Provide your full names and maiden name(s).
> Provide date of marriage
> Request regular or certified copy
> Provide appropriate fee - can be cash, check or money order made payable to Clerk of Court.

      Web Services Provided By:
Gallatin County, Montana
311 West Main Street
Bozeman, MT 59715